Wednesday, January 12, 2011

CoverGirl Outlast Double Lip Shine: Clearance at CVS!

Hi All,

The next (last!) product I have for you from the CVS clearance is a CoverGirl Outlast Double Lip Shine in Berry Blast, color number 245. It was 50% off of the original $9.99 price, so I scored it for around five bucks! I've used these before and I like them pretty well; the lip color can be drying, as most long-wear lip colors are, but the clear gloss keeps it from being too bad. They seem to stay on my lips for around five hours, leaving a nice dark color. When they do begin to come off, they start looking REALLY funky, so I generally try to slough off the rest of the color when that begins happening. They have a really generic plastic-vanilla scent that I'm not too keen on, but it's not very strong and doesn't bother me beyond application. It looked like CVS had all of the colors on clearance, so if you're a fan of these, you might want to head down and snag a couple of your favorite shades! Likewise, if you've never tried these but want to, and don't like this color, don't worry, there's a good selection.

So, here are some pictures of the product and swatches:

Here's the whole she-bang. It has two halves with a silver connector; the liquid lipstick and the clear gloss.
CoverGirl Outlast Double Lip Shine


Step one is the liquid lipstick, which imparts the color:


Step two is the clear "top coat"; just a clear gloss. You have to let the color dry for a couple of minutes before you add this, which is annoying, but if you're doing this as you get ready for a night out on the town, it's not bad. Thankfully you don't need to reapply a product like this, so you don't have to wait around for it to dry more than once or twice through your day.


And here's a swatch of the product on my hand; the shiny swatch is the color with the clear gloss over it, the matte swatch is the color by itself. Berry Blast is a very dark violet color; it's bold but playful.

Outlast Double Lip Shine in Berry Blast, by CoverGirl
Rating: 5 out of 10

Based on my previous experience, I feel comfortable giving this product an "official rating" of 5/10. It's fine; it stays on like it claims and the colors are pretty. However, the smell is a little funky, it's a bit drying, waiting a minute or two for the first layer to dry before applying the second is a bummer, and I hate the way it looks when it finally does begin to wear; it rubs off in patches. Unfortunately, most "long wear" formulas that wear this long are very comparable, so this may be your best bet if you want something that will stay on for a long time and be truly food, drink, and kiss-proof. I'm still hoping for an innovation in the industry, though!

Even though a 5/10 is only 50%, I consider this "average", with anything above a 5 being above average. Therefore, I wouldn't *not* recommend products unless they get a 4/10 or less; I feel pretty neutral about anything with a rating of 5. If you'd like to see more about the rating system, you can find a quick explanation in the last paragraph of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)