Sunday, April 10, 2011

Versatile Blogger Award!

Hi guys!



Sorry I've been on a hiatus, I've been going nuts with school lately... Unfortunately, I don't see it slowing down much for at least 6 weeks or so, but I promise I'll try to be better with keeping up with blogging! I have some exciting news, Vulcan Butterfly tagged me for a Versatile Blogger award! I am so flattered. When I started this, I thought maybe some people would be able to benefit from my experiences with different products, but I find it so rewarding knowing people read this, and I am so grateful for all of my followers! So I'm going to take this opportunity to thank everyone who reads this, especially my followers, and I'd like to extend special thanks to Vulcan Butterfly! You can check out her blog here: http://vulcanbutterfly.blogspot.com/; she features some awesome products, and has an awesome, unique style; the looks she does are so unique, and she has a real talent for putting together eye-catching, bold color combinations!

So. I am supposed to share seven facts about myself? Alright, here goes nothing...

1. I have a B.A. in English literature, I work at a bookstore, and I am working towards an MA in English literature... You might call me a bookworm.

2. I love Star Trek more than any other show. I'm going to the convention in Vegas this summer, and I am SO EXCITED.



3. I love cats; I have two, and my boyfriend has one, so I'm living in a tiny apartment with three cats who hate each other right now. It is totally worth it for all of the fuzzy snuggles.



4. I have been sewing historical and fantasy costumes since I was 12. Please don't think I'm bragging when I say that I'm genuinely surprised at some of the things I can do with fabric! It's been years and years of learning, with loads of help from a dedicated teacher, and honestly, I've made more than my share of mistakes, but now that I can take an idea in my mind and make it into something tangible, it feels like sheer magic. I wish I had more time to do this (hah, so does my dad; mr "you should get a degree in business" is now asking me why I didn't pursue costuming or design!).

Mostly Regency!
Mostly Victorian! There's a bustle back there! (and a corset under there!) My boyfriend puts up with so much!
Renaissance faire! This is total fantasy.


5. I have a huuuuuge interest in the Early Modern period (that's English Renaissance!); it's my focus in school, but I've been interested in it through the lens of costuming and just sheer history since I was a kid; I especially love learning about Henry VIII's 6 wives (Anne Boleyn is my favorite- yay for strong women!) and Queen Elizabeth.

6. This is probably too personal to put up here, but I'm doing it anyway, since I think it's been really important in my life; my mom passed away in December of 2009 after a few years of being very, very ill, and it was the most surprising and formative experience I've ever been through. It's changed me in ways I never expected it to, and dramatically changed all of the other relationships in my life, too. I have so much more respect and compassion for mothers, caretakers, and the terminally ill after this experience, and I just want to take this moment to offer love and solidarity to anyone who's experienced anything similar, and to give many thanks to my mom, a true Southern Belle who taught me my love of makeup!


7. I took a burlesque class a couple of years ago, and seriously considered the possibility of continuing with it and performing with the dance studio! I still secretly want to be a burlesque performer, maybe in another life. Sometimes when I get bored, I think about what my stage name would be...

I'd like to pass the award onto the following bloggers:

Vintage Makeup: She is such a profuse blogger! I love that every time I log in, there's some new pretties to look at, and she does a good job of covering a wide range of products. Check it out! http://vintagemakeup.blogspot.com/

Lauren; full disclosure, she's been my best friend since we were in fourth grade! But she's also doing a great job of featuring green beauty on her blog, http://greenbeautyblog.blogspot.com. It's a beauty blog with a conscience, but she is never preachy! I've learned so much from her posts.

D.L. Blogspot! She does so many great looks and shows so many diverse products on her blog! Check out the great work on her blog, she's got some real talent! http://dewilauren.blogspot.com/

Something Sea Blue: http://somethingseablue.blogspot.com More full disclosure, I've known this very talented woman since I was 12, and she's the one who taught me how to sew! Not only is she a very talented seamstress and artist (with a couple of seriously drool-worthy Etsy shops!), she's one of the kindest, most generous people I know.

Thanks again for all of the support you guys! I love doing this blog, and I love reading all of your blogs, too!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much! What you wrote about my blog was too kind! :)

    Your cats are adorable, and I'm so sorry about your Mom it's really great that you're willing to be so open with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank *you* for doing such great blogging! And thanks about the cats :) They like playing with all of the pretty things I review here (as evidenced by bite marks on a couple of products!)

    As for my mom, I know that's keeping it pretty real, but I know a lot of people who have felt silenced during the grieving process, and I really dislike that society does this to people in pain. I hope readers don't think I'm out for sympathy, but I think it's important to honor my mom and the importance this experience had in my life; it's part of who I am, for better or for worse. It seemed appropriate to this blog, too, since she fostered a love of makeup and primping from an early age, and I inherited her vanity and makeup brushes, so sometimes I kind of feel like I'm still playing dress up with her like I did when I was a little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh u are so sweet :) thank you for your kind words...I cant believe it has been so many years we have known each other, seems like just yesterday you were making your first costume with all those yards of slippery fabric!!! you have always been so ambtious and I am very proud of you for the woman you have become, Im honored to have been your teacher :) I love looking at all your costume pix!!! and I love the pix of you and your mom, she was a special woman and my friend as well, she is missed. Your blog is beatiful fun and upbeat I love it!!!! love u :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, thank you! I love reading your blog and seeing what you are working on and what's inspiring you, it always makes me feel more creative! Thanks for putting up with me and all my yards of slippery fabric, Wednesday afternoons were my favorite part of the week for many years :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! You can really sew! I screw around with the sewing machine and I suck at it and I AM JEALOUS! Your costumes are beautiful! Have fun at the Star Trek convention, did you make a costume? Please post pictures! I love your cats as well, I have two living in a tiny apartment and they don't get along the odd time and things get rather "special" around here! Also, I am sorry that you had to deal with the passing of your mother so early in life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)