Monday, July 16, 2012

Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Coral

Today I'm showing you a few swatches and giving you my thoughts on Fresh's Sugar Lip Treatment in Coral. I have owned and repurchased Plum, so it may come as no surprise that I am  a big fan of this formula. I know that $22 is pretty steep for something that amounts to a lip balm, but it is my favorite lip balm; I think I can say, hands down, that it's the best I've used. Does the increase in satisfaction justify the increase in price? I don't know, but I can say that they aren't necessarily directly proportional... For me, the difference is worth it, especially since I use both of my lip treatments (Coral and Plum) as cosmetic AND treatment items, rather than just one or the other. I have no problem dropping $22 on a quality lipstick, so Fresh's Sugar Lip Treatment kind of gets lumped into that category; it's a lip color that also happens to feel divine, smell amazing (like sugared lemon!), and make my lips the softest and plushest they can be.

And that's what really sets this product apart for me; it feels absolutely amazing on, very smooth and cushiony without being uncomfortably slick, greasy, waxy, or sticky, and leaves my lips free of dead skin and looking velvety soft and completely hydrated. The soft-but-noticeable tint makes it a beautiful option for keeping in a purse. And, if I put these on before bed, they'll last all night; this means that during the day, I only really need to touch up after eating or drinking, otherwise they'll go strong for a good few hours. Plus, the case is adorable; it's a brushed metal in the color of the balm. It's got some weight to it, and unscrews. I think that Fresh did a good job of upgrading the packaging to reflect the price hike; you really do feel like this is a quality product when you hold it in your hand, not just a run of the mill $2 lip balm that's got a snazzy new label.

Just how tinted are these babies? Well, Plum is a little more subtle, so I was not expecting the rush of color that's in Coral. It's definitely bright and noticeable, although not opaque. The color itself leans more pink than orange, although I think it is fair to still call this shade coral. It's perfect for summer; it brightens up my face, softens my lip, and offers sun protection (it has an SPF of 15). If you get it in your mouth, it leaves the faintest bitter taste in the back of my mouth, which I believe is from the SPF; I've had this problem with other sunblocking lip balms.



Here it is swatched heavily on the left, and lightly on the right. This is just about as dark and as light as you can get this product.




Summary: I love this product, and will continue to purchase Fresh's Sugar Lip Treatments as they release colors that appeal to me or as I run out of my current go-tos. The main criticism I have heard associated with this product is the price, but that is subjective; it is worth it to me to have a lip color that leaves my lips in great condition, but it's a personal decision. Price aside, I think this is a great product and might even be my "Holy Grail" tinted lip balm. Coral is a great color for summer; it's sheer but bright, and I think it would be flattering on a variety of skin tones as it doesn't lean too orange or too cool.

Have you guys used Fresh's Sugar Lip Treatment? Have you checked out Coral?

16 comments:

  1. Good to know you like these! Thanks for your thoughts. I have tried the Rose one because it came in a new beauty test tube. I thought it was ok, but nothing all that special. The formula did feel good on my lips, but I can't say it felt any better that some of my other lip balms. The Coral looks great on your lips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know lip balms are kind of subjective... Different people look for different things, but these work really nicely for me! Hopefully you found a lip balm that you love!

      Delete
  2. you had me at smells like sugared lemon! looks like it gives gorgeous color, i like a slight tint. need to try! (maybe mostly bc of the lemon scent)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really nice product, and the tint is perfect!

      Delete
  3. To each their own. I really like Fresh Sugars' lip balms. But I am just not willing to shell out $22 for a lip balm. They are indeed very nice but nothing special to me. I have found some of my very own HG lip balms already, thank goodness! Or else my wallet would hate me forever! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand! If you couldn't tell from my frequent mention of the high price in the review, it is a sticking point for me... I think if not for the fact that I wear these as a cosmetic item, I would just make due with another lip balm (and most of the time, I do)! I like Nivea's Honey lip balm quite a bit for overnight, and times that I don't need a tint. This is still my favorite, though :P

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! This post heightened my anticipation for the Sephora birthday present even more! Fresh duo, it's only a matter of time before you're in my grubby little hands ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOON! http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/117008-soon

      Delete
  5. Ohhh... I think I need this sometime. I've been contemplating buying another (I have Plum but it's a little dark for my summer tastes) because you're right, they're stinking awesome lip balms. This one looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked out this one because I thought that between Plum and Coral, I could wear one of the two with almost any makeup look... So far, that has been just about right! It's a good counter-point to Plum; the formula is exactly the same (so just as nice), although I should warn you it's a bit more pigmented than Plum is!

      Delete
  6. I've read so many good reviews about this!
    Sadly, we don't have this brand in Italy. It really likes like an amazing product and I really like this shade on you :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad you don't have access to it! It is a really nice product :)

      Delete
  7. It gives such a pretty tint to your lips! :) I love Fresh's Sugar Lip Treatments!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vintage! I'm glad to hear you like them, too!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad to hear that these are so awesome! I got the little birthday gift thing with a couple of these in it awhile ago from Sephora and I haven't tried them out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't tried my little birthday ones, but I was sooo excited when I heard that was this year's gift!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)