Thursday, July 5, 2012

FOTD: Summer Reds

I was wearing a kind of vintage-ish outfit the other day, and wondered if I could do a 1940's inspired face without looking too "done up", and this is what I came up with! I think you can definitely see the vintage inspiration if you're told that's where I was coming from, but it doesn't look like stage makeup.  I didn't use as many products for eyes and lips as I tend to, but I used way more on the cheeks than usual to try to get the exact cheek color I had in mind... There was a lot of layer, buffing, re-layering, re-buffing... I also tried to focus the brightness (hello, Bang!) on the apples of the cheeks, and placed more muted, brown-based (like Dallas) shades further back towards the hairline.


Here are some (but not all) of the products I used:


Complete list of products used:

Face: Almay primer, Hard Candy Glamoflage concealer, Make Up For Ever Face & Body Makeup, Urban Decay cream blush in Bang, L'Oreal Infallible powder, The Body Shop Bronzer in 01, Hard Candy Baked Blush in Pin Up, Benefit Dallas, NARS blush in Exhibit A, Philosophy The Color of Grace Amazing Grace Shimmering Face Powder.

Eyes: Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream in 13 as base, Ulta eyeshadow in mink, Benefit Gilded on inner corner and blended into crease, Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner in Zero (on top lash line) and in Baked (on lower lash line), Prestige My Biggest Lashes mascara, Prestige eyebrow pencil, Anastasia Brow Gel in Caramel.

Lips: NARS lipstick in Joyous Red patted on gently.

Cheeks!
 Eye close-ups:



And Joyous Red worn very lightly, an old favorite!


Wow, I can't believe I don't wear Joyous Red patted on lightly like this more often! It's the perfect "my lips but redder" shade; it doesn't look too unnatural. I don't know about you guys, but if I want a subtle lip color, any form of red is usually off the table; even sheer red is often still very bright. If you're curious what this looks like worn more heavily, check out my earlier review of it here.

Do you guys feel like summer calls for less makeup? I try to do more natural looks when the weather is hot and I know I'll be outdoors. Less maintenance!

20 comments:

  1. Girl you look fabulous! I couldn't help but notice how cute your earrings are, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I have a bunch of these little resin flower earrings, I wear them all the time :)

      Delete
  2. Definitely 40's inspired! I think the polka dot top really added to it! Beautiful look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vintage indeed! Definitely not too made up. :) I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. super cute! oh and i recently got the mufe face & body liquid makeup! i <3 it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great!? So natural looking, but you can layer it for heavier coverage where you need it... Can't ask for much more than that!

      Delete
  5. I would love to try Dallas!
    I really like the look you've created, while being simple it makes you look great.
    I think I'll recreate something similar for my exam on monday :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'd love to see your version! And Dallas is great, it's so flattering!

      Delete
  6. Seriously like this look- the lips went perfect and the cheek color looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll have to try playing with these colors more often!

      Delete
  7. Seriously, can I steal your lips please?? Not creepy weird way lol. I love the blush of color on the lips. I like a dewey natural look in the summer, I'm not really a light hand at makeup so it's a fine line between sunkissed garden maiden and late night bar trollop. I need to practice that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, my lips! But I don't even know why you're asking, you have lovely lips Crystal! And yes, it is hard to find a happy medium between using enough product that it looks intentional and well-applied without looking too dark... I always have to wait at least ten minutes and then go look at my face in different light, I end up changing my or blotting my lip color and buffing out my cheeks about half the time! I've even done this in the school bathroom after seeing myself in harsh fluorescent lights... Maybe I ought to work on using a lighter hand, too!

      Delete
  8. All that buffering and re-layering definitely paid off because your cheeks look GORGEOUS!!! PS - I second Crystal ^^ Your lips are freakingggg stunning! Lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. its a very clean and "no fuss" classic makeup look to go with your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, when it's hot out it's easier to tone down the makeup a bit, otherwise it starts to look a bit sketchy after awhile! I really like UD Bang! That is one gorgeous blush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very pretty! I've been reaching for it a lot. I have to give at least half of the credit to Exhibit A, though... It is instant pretty in blush form :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)