Monday, July 9, 2012

Benefit Coralista

It's been a long time since I've done a good, old-fashioned product review! Well, I am trying to remedy that; I have a couple in the works, and we're going to kick it off today with an exploration of Benefit's Coralista.

Coralista is one of Benefit's Box o' Powders, their collection of brightening, bronzing, and blushing face powders. I'd call Coralista a blush; if you have a darker skin tone, though, you could probably use it to highlight and brighten. It's the perfect coral shade, a beautiful balance between pink and coral that makes it suited to both warm and cool complexions, and I love that it goes with almost any combination of colors you can think of. When I need a quick wash of brightening blush and don't want to think too hard about matching the blush color to the eyeshadows I've chosen, I reach for Coralista. It's also a sheer enough but buildable color that it's pretty foolproof; you are not going to look like a clown (unless you want to; like I said, it is buildable).  It will run you $28 for .28 ounces of product, and the box includes a specialized brush. If you'd like to read more about it, you can do so at Benefit's website.  I don't use the brush that is included with it; it's a fine brush, just not the right size for precise placement. I use Coralista with a pretty basic fluffy blush brush (mine is Sonia Kashuk).

My poor Coralista is a couple of years old; the box is looking a little bit beat up, and they've changed the box design so now the lid flips up, instead of lifting off. I suppose this is an improvement, but I don't really mind mine! I mentioned before that this is a nicely balanced coral-pink shade that isn't overly cool or overly warm. It isn't sparkly, but it does have a faint hint of very fine pink-gold shimmer to it, just enough to give it a bit of an iridescent glow and keep it from looking flat. While the base color leans more coral, this glow pulls a bit pinker, and I find this finish really flattering (and forgiving when it comes to application)!

Here's the box:

Coralista!
 The included brush:

And the product itself! You can get an idea of its "glowiness" here; notice that there is no glitter or noticeable shimmer.


And swatches! I've shown what it looks like sheer on top, and built up on the bottom. I love that finish! Kind of a glowy satin.


And here I am wearing only Coralista over foundation and powder; no bronzer or highlighter. I've done a couple of passes of Coralista with a fluffy blush brush to build up the color some.




Summary: Coralista is a gorgeous pinky-coral shade, and its finish and opacity are SO forgiving. It's a really easy to wear, flattering blush. I'd recommend this to anyone, from blush novices who are afraid of overdoing it, to those who have a full arsenal of blushes and are looking for something soft and pretty but buildable.

Do any of you own Coralista? I love Benefit's Box o' Powder line, and Coralista has become my go-to brightening blush. I can wear it on its own and get a bit of a highlight along with a healthy glow.

17 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely gorgeous on you Sarah. I actually I prefer the old packaging of box o powders. The new one has a mirror and all but I hate swirling my brush in it with the lid attached. Nit picking much? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that makes sense! Although, I do find it inconvenient to have to find somewhere to set the lid down when I use this design... I think I prefer traditional compact designs!

      Delete
  2. I think this is a peach I could actually pull off. You look lovely as always, girl. I really want to try either this or Sugarbomb from Benefit- have you tried that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet this would be really cute on you! I have swatched Sugarbomb but I don't own it; I'd really like both Sugarbomb and Bella Bamba (which seems to be the pink version of Coralista). All of the Powder Boxes are lovely!

      Delete
  3. I own a minisize of this in a travel set and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, too! I saw that Sephora is coming out with a travel kit that includes this and the new Coralista gloss, I almost wish I didn't already have the blush so I could get the little set :)

      Delete
  4. I've heard lots of great things about this blush, looks very summery! I wonder if Benefit is truly cruelty-free though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gaby, I don't think Benefit has ever claimed to be a cruelty-free company. You can read their official statement regarding it here: http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/help/faq#faq-7

      Delete
  5. I just bought this too!!!! HSN had a great deal on the blush/gloss combo. Benefit is my favorite blush right now by far. Coralista is giving my Hervana a run for it's money. It's kinda like what took me so long to buy this??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a great blush? I want Hervana and Bella Bamba and Sugarbomb and... Can't I just have them all? Georgia had reached HG status, I'm so upset they discontinued it! I have three boxes right now...

      Delete
  6. Double comment maybe. I just picked this up for the first time a few weeks ago. I love love love Benefit box blushes. This one is giving Hervana a run for it's money. I wonder what took me so long to score Coralista..it's practically a cult fav.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, double comment. Hopefully this means I write with such sparkling wit that my post was interesting twice? Ooh, or it could be that the post was so boring you'd already forgotten it... Let's go with the fist scenario, shall we?

      Delete
  7. I think the Box-O-Powders are the only thing that I like from Benefit. I had my eye on this one but never got it. It looks like it is quite universally flattering, I don't think you could really go wrong with Coralista!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really gorgeous color, definitely worth looking into if it appeals to you!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)