Monday, December 19, 2011

CoverGirl Lip Perfection Lipsticks in Romance, Feline, and Everlasting

Hello!

I've had a couple of the CoverGirl Lip Perfection lipsticks before, and recently picked up a couple more; I have to say, everytime I wander over to the Lip Perfection display, I am impressed with the color choices. I think that of all the drugstore lines, Lip Perfection has the most unique shades and finishes, from pink frosts and red metallics to iridescent purples. If you are hankering for a kind of "crazy" lip color and don't want to spend much on it, it's worth heading over to your local drugstore and seeking out this line!

The shades I'll be showing you today are Romance (265), Feline (385), and Everlasting (345). But first, let's talk about the formula in general. It is a fairly thin (as opposed to thick and creamy) formula, and as such, it tends to emphasize lines on the lips even though the color doesn't collect and settle into the lip lines. CoverGirl's website claims that the Lip Perfection lipsticks are "enriched with a silk moisturizing complex" and that they will "help sustain moisture levels," completely transforming lips in 7 days of use. I don't think this is the case for me; I wouldn't be able to wear these 7 days straight without some seriously chapped lips! These don't accelerate the drying process of my lips, but they do nothing to improve the condition of my lips, or even protect them the way that some non-moisturizing but thicker formulas will. However, the upside of this thinner, dryer formula is that it stays put without migrating longer than creamier formulas will. These lip colors are also intensely pigmented; I can get full coverage with just one swipe, although I usually add a little more to try to provide a bit more of a cushion. I don't notice any taste with these, and the scent is pretty innocuous, standard "lipstick waxy", but fades quickly. A great thing about these that I like is that the ends of each lipstick has the color of the shade in the tube, so if you have multiple tubes, it's easy to tell them apart without opening them or flipping them upside down and checking the name. However, the case (a metallic deep violet grey) does hold fingerprints like the dickens, so if this is a pet peeve of yours, be warned! You can find these lipsticks at most big box stores and drugstores; they will run you about $6, depending on where you find them, though you can often find CoverGirl on BOGO1/2 if you wait and watch sales.

Now, moving on to the colors! Let's start with Romance, shade 265. This is definitely my favorite of the three; it's a beigey pink with a hint of flattering iridescence. It's just a step into the pink side of a nude lip color, and goes with a lot of different makeup looks, while still brightening up my face more than a traditional nude lip color.

The case! They all look like this, just with different shades represented on the bottom lucite covered portion. 

CoverGirl Lip Perfection in Romance

CoverGirl Lip Perfection in Romance; look at that fine shimmer! 

Swatch of CoverGirl's Romance

CoverGirl Lip Perfection in Romance on the lips
 And in the following picture you can see what I mean about these showing lip lines, despite not settling in to them:

CoverGirl Lip Perfection lipstick in Romance

Next up is Feline; admittedly, this is not the most flattering color on me ever. I wanted a kind of retro frosted yellow-pink to wear with my Star Trek: TOS uniform. Note: this did not look great with my red dress! Despite not loving the shade on me, I think it's a pretty pink that might work well for someone else. Plus, I kind of dig the name!

CoverGirl's Feline! 

Feline, twisted up

Swatch of CoverGirl Lip Perfection in Feline

Wearing Feline on my lips!

CoverGirl Lip Perfection in Feline


Finally, I bring you Everlasting! This shade is really amazing; it's difficult to find finishes like this from most drugstore brands. It's a brightened  burgundy with a metallic finish and glitter strewn throughout, yet it doesn't feel gritty on the lips. The finish on this actually reminds me of the Kat Von D Foiled Love lipstick. It's a showstopping color, I just wish it didn't emphasize lip lines so much! I'm sure with a bit of gloss on top of it, that wouldn't be nearly as noticeable.

CoverGirl Lip Perfection in Everlasting!

CoverGirl Lip Perfection in Everlasting; enlarge this to get an idea of the shimmer and flash this shade has! It's really neat. 

Everlasting; Check out the texture of the product, it'll give you some idea of the glittery/ metallic finish

CoverGirl Everlasting 

CoverGirl Lip Perfection Lipstick in Everlasting

I just had to include a blurry photo of this on the lips to give you an idea of how much of the metallic finish/ glitter translates; quite a bit, actually!

Blurry/sparkly CoverGirl Everlasting
Final verdict? These are worthwhile lipsticks, and I'll continue to go back to this formula, even though it isn't perfect. I'm very pleased with the range of colors, and it's a great lipstick option conveniently available wherever CoverGirl is sold! And while I wish these were more moisturizing and didn't emphasize lip lines, they are pigmented enough that I can get away with some lip balm underneath them, and still have what amounts to full-finish color. Have you guys used these lipsticks yet? There are a ton of really neat colors I want to eventually pick up, I'd love to hear which shades have worked for others!

10 comments:

  1. Everlasting is lovely on you! I have yet to try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three of these look great on you! But I can see why you love Romance! I haven't tried any from this line, but have been seeing lots of good reviews. Thanks for your thoughts on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These lippies look awesome on you! I have a bunch of these lipsticks as well and Everlasting and Romance are definitely two of my most well used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are gorgeous, I wish we had CG in the UK. I suppose I must visit Ebay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a couple of these but gave them away because they were too frosty for my taste. Romance looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for commenting everybody!
    @ Vintage Makeup, you should try them if you get a chance! There are sooo many shades to choose from!
    @ The Peach, Romance is such an easy to wear color! Do you have a shade in mind that you'd like to try? I know these have been getting a lot of good press from bloggers; I have to say, I'm a little surprised at the unbridled enthusiasm, even though I think there are lots of nice things about these lipsticks.
    @ sugarbumpkin, Which other shades do you have? Any favorites I should check out the next time I'm near a Cover Girl display? :)
    @ VampiressDoll, I'm so sorry you don't have these locally! But definitely hit up Ebay, there are some really neat shades in this line that I'm sure you'll love!
    @ Gaby, I'm sorry you had to give some of these away, but I can definitely see how some of these might be too frosty. Feline definitely walks the line for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you that these are quite drying though they claim to do the opposite. I actually HATED these. I hate the smell, the texture, and the way they look on my lips! A lot of people do seem to like them a lot, though. I have Embrace and Burn and while I was impressed with the colours in the tube, I find that they did not deliver on the lips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, sorry to hear that Vulcan Butterfly! I've seen pretty swatches of Burn, I'm glad to hear the other side of the story before I spend money on it! I really don't understand how other people find these moisturizing, but they work quite well for me when worn with a little bit of lip balm. Not my favorite lipstick formula, but I'm glad to be able to get some interesting colors cheaply!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I'm trying to find a really great shimmery burgundy and I'm having a hard time. I love "Euphoria" but it's not shimmery. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Heather! It is definitely more of a metallic type finish than shimmery. But I bet it would look gorgeous with a shimmery gloss layered on top, it would give it so much depth! That might be an option if your search comes up short :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)