Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review and Swatches: NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Bahama

I have had NARS' Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Bahama for quite some time now, and I can't believe I haven't talked about it here before now. It looks so unassuming in the tube, but is really beautiful on the lips. According to NARS' website, it is "the perfect blend of pink and brown", and I think that about sums it up. What's more, this color is a chameleon; if I want a neutral but bold lip, it will go with almost any other cheek and eye makeup I might be wearing, and is a great balance of brightness and darkness. It's definitely a degree too noticeable to fall into the "My Lips But Better" category, but it's just as versatile and definitely in the same color family.

If you've been following this blog for awhile, you'll know that I am a big fan of the Velvet Matte lip pencils; they are creamy and soft on the lip, but perfectly matte. They aren't drying, and they are very comfortable to wear. They won't make your lips look dryer or emphasize lip lines, but as with all matte products, they are not forgiving, so making sure your lips are balmed-up and exfoliated before application helps. They're easy to apply over a balm for a sheer-er, satin finish, and they're so pigmented it only takes a touch to give lips a nice sheer stain, and one pass will get them perfectly opaque. The pencil format means it's also a cinch to get a nice, crisp outline on lips-- a necessity, in my opinion, for a bold matte lip. My only complaints are that you have to sharpen these pencils, which can be annoying on the go (besides the fact that you lose product when you sharpen them), and the fact that if you don't double-check that the caps are secure, they can pop back off. I've never had this happen when I double checked and was positive the cap was on correctly, though. Any of the Velvet Matte Lip Pencils can be yours for $24.


For reference, I applied this to my lips with the tip this blunt; I really don't find it necessary to sharpen these too often, since they apply easily even with a blunt tip.


Bahama, indoor light

Bahama, natural light 

Sorry I can't give you guys more  photographs with natural light; my house only has windows on two of the four sides, and none in the bathrooms. This means I can never get my face fully in the light without some shadow falling across it, and I have to just point the camera at my face and hope that I've got the intended quadrant in the viewfinder, since I can't look in a mirror to make sure I have the shot lined up correctly.

Summary: If you are like me and do not mind having to sharpen your lip pencil every once in awhile, these are a great lip product! I absolutely adore this formula; it might be my favorite matte lip formula. This color i great; the shade name makes me think of wearing it with bronzer and a gilded eye, but in truth it's incredibly versatile, and a great go-to shade when a bold lip is called for, but I don't have the time (or inclination) to get too fussy with matching.

10 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I am such a convert to lip pencils. They are so much easier to apply than lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I think lip pencils are really convenient; I wish there were more budget options available!

      Delete
  2. Ohhh...I love this color! I have the VM pencil in Sex Machine and love it. Next time I order form Nars, I may get this one, it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sex Machine, it's such a pretty color! I think you would like this one.

      Delete
  3. This color it's absolutely beautiful and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a really pretty color.

      Delete
  4. I definitely love these as well! I have a few of them and had been meaning to do a post about them but my pictures didn't turn out very well so I have to do them again. Have you tried any of their gloss pencils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have! I have some old swatches and reviews of them here: http://bowerofblisse.blogspot.com/2011/02/nars-velvet-gloss-lip-pencils.html I like them, but not as well as the matte formula. However, I really like the idea of having a gloss in a pencil form.

      I had a very poor lighting situation, but I'd be willing to re-swatch these if you're curious! (And provided that I can find them!)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)