Friday, August 24, 2012

NOTD: OPI Number One Nemesis

Another nail polish post! I apologize, for throwing so many of these at you in a row, but to be honest, I haven't been doing very many exciting things with makeup lately. I keep meaning to pull out some old favorites and swatch and review them, but I haven't found the time yet.

Luckily for us both, I have a deep and abiding love of nail polish, and that combined with my weak nails means that I am constantly playing with pretty nail polish, and I am more than happy to share the results with you here.

Number One Nemesis quickly became a favorite; released with The Amazing Spider Man collection, it doesn't exactly scream "summer", but I love these dark metallic shades. This was rumored to be a dupe of Chanel's Graphite (which I attempted to re-create in a previous post), a nail polish that had me head over heels when I first saw it nearly a year ago. I don't own it, so I can't tell you how close it really is to Number One Nemesis, but from what I recall I would say Number One Nemesis leans a bit more olive green in certain lights than Graphite does, although I would hardly call this an olive green shade; it is firmly located in the gunmetal family of dark grey metallics. The finish is what really sets this shade apart from similar colors, and what earns it its comparison to Graphite. It has a kind of foiled metallic effect, with specks of different colors adding interest and depth to what would otherwise be a fairly standard color.

In the following pictures, you can see the multi-colored tiny shimmer on my out-of-focus little finger, and you can see the mixture of dark charcoal and brighter pewter flecks that make up the bulk of this polish.

OPI Number One Nemesis, natural light

OPI Number One Nemesis, reflecting direct natural light 

Summary: This is a really pretty color, and definitely cured me of wanting to shell out $25 for Chanel Graphite; for ~$8, this is fine for me. In certain lights, it leans a bit olive green, but it is predominately a dark charcoal/gunmetal shade. I know OPI's formula wears very well on some people; I get no better than average wear from the brand, which on me means two or three chip-free days. No worse than usual, so I can't complain!

How do you guys feel about finding dupes for more expensive products? I sometimes feel bad about supporting ripping off of designers, but when it comes to cosmetics, I think most things are just reiterations of what's already out there, and when I buy dupes, I never would have spent the money on the original anyway. I feel like a lot of what you end up paying for is the branding in many cases, and that's not very important to me.

13 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a similar color,a cheaper dupe of chanel graphite,this color got raved reviews,It is so gorgeous.I couldn't find a dupe!!well...I don't mind dupes in fact I start to hunt for a cheaper version of something I can't really afford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind dupes, either! I think it's nice when high-fashion looks are opened up to different price-points, even if they're no exactly the same as the very expensive versions.

      Delete
  2. Don't apologize for posting a lot of NOTDs, I absolutely love them!
    You always wear colors that I really like :) Spiderman's LE is still available in Italy, I'll surely look for this :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. could number 3 http://angiepassionformakeup.blogspot.it/2012/08/1-2-3-shaka.com be a dupe for the UD 24/7 that you liked? It looks similar! I'll go and swatch it asap, if they actually are dupes I'll send it to you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that looks really close! I tried a Make Up For Ever Aqua liner that I thought might be a dupe, but for some reason it doesn't show up as well on my skin as Baked does... And thank you, you are so sweet! If they end up being dupes, I would happily send you something in exchange for it, if there's anything you have been wanting but cannot get in Italy!

      Delete
    2. I'll swatch one in store and I'll brink my UD one with me so I can check if they're that similar! Fingers crossed!

      Delete
    3. If it's too much trouble, don't worry about it! I don't want you going out of your way for me!

      Delete
    4. Don't even think about it! I love going makeup shopping anyway :P

      Delete
  4. I agree, VERY often one ends up paying for nothing more than brand identity. I have tried several higher end products that wear just terribly. After you pay the high price for them, this is very irritating. I REALLY like this colour! I wonder if I can find it somewhere....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it in a little while, but if you have trouble finding it let me know and I can see if I can find it and send it to you. Although, it's new enough you should at least be able to find it online!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I love how edgy this color is! Definitely a good dupe for Graphite!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)