Wednesday, May 9, 2012

11 Q + A Tag from Sugar Bumpkin and a bonus Cocktail Recipe!

Hi Guys!

I know, I am falling behind on the awards and tags that you guys have given me... Oops! Please don't think I'm not grateful or that I've forgotten if you are one of these people, I love doing tags like this, but sometimes I forget. So I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone and let you know that I appreciate it, and that I've not forgotten.

As for this tag, it is from Janny over at A Sugar Bumpkin's Makeup Story. She has some really great content, you should go check out her blog if you haven't already! I decided to do this tag right away since she tagged me in an even earlier one I still haven't done, and since I saw the post during a much-needed paper-writing break! Yay procrastination!

So, how does this work? You answer the 11 questions that the person who tagged you thought up for you, and then create 11 of your own that the 11 people you tag will answer? Got that? Good! Because now I'm going to change the rules. I always hate when you don't get to answer the same questions that the person who tagged you answer. I don't know about you, but I always think of answers as I read their answers... So I am going to choose three of the questions that Janny answered and answer them myself, before I move on to the questions she posed for me.

From Janny's Set of Questions (given to her by Iridescent Makeup):

1. What's the best memory you have off the top of your mind? This is a really difficult one, since it is hard to choose just one; I have lots of memories that spring to mind. But I think I'd have to say that the "best of medley" of early dates with my boyfriend is what I think of first; going to museums with him, seeing movies, getting to know him over dinner and coffee... When I fondly recall our early dates, he always rolls his eyes and points out that this implies that the best dates we've been on all occurred during the first few months we dated, and that's not it at all; I just really cherish the fact that we had such a charmed courtship. Those were the experiences that created the momentum that we're still riding on now.

3. What is your favorite face moisturizer? I can't NOT answer this one, because it's NARS Body Glow II (monoi oil), a product I absolutely do not give enough love on here. It deserves several posts of its own, because it is such a multi-tasker, and it has done amazing, wonderful things for my skin and hair. It makes my facial skin look tight, poreless, and glowing. It's amazing. I use it at least once a day underneath traditional face cream or lotion, and sometimes put it in my hair as well. Because it's so expensive, I only use it for my extra sensitive and delicate facial skin, but it only takes a few drops to get amazing benefits, so once bottle lasts me FOREVER. Like... a year.

7. What place have you been to that holds a beautiful memory, and who was it with? Disney World and Disneyland, easy! I've spent many birthdays at Disney World, and I've been to both parks with lots of people who are special to me. But I used to go to Disney World with my mom every summer when we'd go see my Grandma; it was our favorite place to spend time together, and so it holds a lot of very special memories for me because of that. My boyfriend and I started planning our first trip to Disneyland after our fourth date, and arrived after we'd only been dating 3 months! We both thought we were kind of crazy for planning a vacation with a near stranger, but it was a great way to fall in love. We ended up at Disney World for our 1 year anniversary (and my birthday), and will be at Disneyland again with one of my very best friends (who I've been to Disneyland with twice!) for my birthday in June! Yup, I'm a lucky girl, and I have so many wonderful, emotional memories between those two places.


On to the questions Janny posed for those of us that she tagged!

1. What name(s) do you like to go by? Just Sarah! I've been called Sari on and off since childhood as a pet name, and my dad used to call me Susie-Q when I was little... When I was REALLY little I wished my name was Sally (which, as it turns out, is an old nick-name for Sarah)... But I've never had a "real" nickname that everyone knew me by or called me consistently. In high school, one of my very best friends (same one who is coming to Disneyland with me this birthday!) was also named Sarah, and so people would refer to us in the plural as "Sarahs." It was really common that we'd here "Hi Sarahs!" as we walked around; come to find out, that wasn't just restricted to the students! We went back to visit after graduation and one of our teachers said "The Sarahs are back!" Very silly.

2. What is your current profession/ occupation? Uuuuugh... I hate this question! Not because it's a strange one, just because I'm not happy with what I'm doing right now. I am a student. That's it. That's all. I'm trying to get my MA in English Literature and it is kicking my butt. I'm hoping to finish up in a semester or so, and then... who knows what I'll do! I've only ever worked retail before, but I'd like to do something creative. I am seriously considering  starting an Etsy shop for my sewing and jewelry making. Not that it would be a career, but I  miss having a job, even though I know I won't finish my degree if I put too much time towards something else; I am so burnt out on school, I'm afraid I'd just drop out.

3. What is your greatest accomplishment? I don't feel like I've done much of anything with my life so far that hasn't just been by luck. I graduated with my BA in English Literature Summa Cum Laude, which I'm pretty proud of! And this probably sounds weird, but I'm really proud of being able to help take care of my mom when she was terminally ill. It was incredibly difficult, but I'm glad I was able to do that for her, after all she did for me when I was growing up. I see that as an honor and an accomplishment.

4. What is the craziest thing you have done for somebody? See above. Haha, that's so inappropriate, but that's immediately what I think of; I did some pretty crazy things for my mom when she was ill... I guess that's not what was intended by the question, but I honestly can't think of anything else just now. At least, nothing else I should be putting on the internet!

5. Besides playing with makeup, what else do you like to do? Sewing is my other major hobby; specifically, costuming. I am working on a set of Tudor clothing circa 1530 or so over on my other blog; I still have a lot to learn, but I can sew, draft patterns, fit, etc... proficiently, and it's something I really enjoy. I also love to read; I am currently going through Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's oeuvre. I enjoy other creative things like jewelry making, drawing, and working on decorating my house, but those aren't things I devote as much time to. Oh, and taking walks! I love walking, especially around San Francisco, though I don't get to do that as often now that I don't live there.

6. What was the inspiration/idea/concept behind your blog name? Ooh, this is a good one! Truth be told, my blog would have been Bower of Bliss if that hadn't already been taken; I added the "e" out of desperation. The Bower of Bliss is a setting from Edmund Spenser's epic poem The Faerie Queene, written to flatter Queen Elizabeth I during her reign. He was hoping to curry favor and get money and an elevated status in return. It's super long, and he only got through half of it! It's wonderful, though; it's highly allegorical, and the poetry is so tightly written, it's jam-packed with meaning. A lot of fun to work with for an English literature dork like myself. The Bower of Bliss isn't necessarily a good place as presented in the poem; it's a place of temptation that the virtuous characters have to stay strong in. But it sounds like so much  fun! Honestly, the main reason I thought it was appropriate is that part of its "evil" is that its beauty is largely due to artifice attempting to look like nature, which is kind of what makeup and cosmetics do. I thought the negative twist the place has in the poem would be a bit tongue-in-cheek over here ;)

7. What kind of music do you like? I like random music... My favorites are David Bowie, Interpol, Arcade Fire, Ella Fitzgerald, and The Killers. I also really enjoy Ladytron, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Detroit Cobras, Muse, Franz Ferdinand, Air... I could go on and on. LMFAO is my guilty pleasure. Moonlight Serenade is one of my favorite songs, and Cole Porter is my favorite lyricist/composer for music to sing. I'll come back to this in a month and realize I forgot to mention an all-time favorite artist... Oh well. Lately I've been listening to the songs "Sleep Alone" by Bat for Lashes and "Magic" by Ladyhawke a lot, but I'm pretty sure that's just a phase.

8. What is your idea of an ideal first date? For a first date with a stranger, coffee! Because it's easy to bow out after half an hour if it's going poorly, but you can linger if you're enjoying each other's company, and it's pretty low-key. However, assuming I know and am comfortable with the person, I think something like a museum would be my pick; lots of conversation starters, and I love museums!

9. If the Avengers held a round of Hunger Games amongst themselves, who would win? I am going to go ahead and say Tony Stark (Iron Man), because he is ingenious. He could handle a lot of different situations and would adapt to whatever was thrown at him. Plus, I think he has the kind of moral flexibility and instinct for self-preservation that killing innocents in the Arena calls for.

10. If you had a wedgie in public, what would you do about it? Oh man, whatever I had to do to get rid of it! Find a restroom, fitting room, shady corner behind a large potted plant... But seriously, I'd try to get to a restroom and fix it there.

11. What is your favorite drink (alcoholic and non-alcoholic)? My favorite non-alcoholic drink is really good iced tea. I love iced tea! And hot tea... Ok, let's just say tea ;) As far as alcoholic beverage....

WELCOME TO SURPRISE RECIPE TIME WITH SARAH! 

My favorite boozey drink is the Hemingway, often known as the Hemingway Daiquiri. I had my first one at Beretta in San Francisco, and it was heaven. What's not to love? It's citrusy, rum-y, and literary! I'm a big fan of mixed drinks that feature rum. So, I set out to learn how to recreate it at home. Turns out a big portion of its unique deliciousness is Maraschino liquer, which is pricey. So I came up with a modified recipe of my own to make at home; I've also added club soda to make these last longer and lower the alcohol-per-ounce ratio, because seriously, I'll drink myself silly off these if given the chance. They're yummy!

If you'd like to see a traditional recipe, here's the one I started with: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-review-hemingway-daiqui-90229

And here is my version; I use more grapefruit juice than the original calls for so that it retains the bright grapefruit flavor even after adding the club soda.

Sarah's Modified Hemingway:

1 and 1/2 ounces white rum
1 ounce lime juice
2 ounces ruby red grapefruit juice
1/2 ounce thick simple syrup (melt sugar into water at a 1:1 ratio on a stovetop over medium heat)
Club soda to taste (I just add enough to fill the rest of the glass)

Add all your ingredients other than the club soda into a cocktail shaker with some ice. Shake! Strain over ice into a tall glass, add your club soda, and enjoy!

Ok, back to this tag.

Here are my 11 questions: 

1. Where is the place you would most like to travel to? What would be on your itinerary?
2. If money were no object, what would your chosen career be?
3. What are your top 3 favorite books? (I can't make anyone pick just one, it would be cruel!)
4. Did you have a pet growing up? If not, did you want one?
5. Where was the last place you traveled to?
6. How long have you been friends with your oldest friend?
7. What has been the biggest benefit of blogging?
8. When did you move into your current home? Do you think you'll stay put for long? If not, where do you see yourself ending up?
9. What have you accomplished in the last 5 years?
10. What do you hope to have accomplished in 5 years?
11. What are you the most grateful for?

And I tag:

Cult of Taupe 
Castinails 
In Her Makeup Bag 
Drama & Makeup 
Just Peachy 
Green Beauty Blog 
Glassflecked 
Going to the Showing 
Femputer Makeup 
Get Set To Shine
Makeup Through My Eyes


Enjoy!



6 comments:

  1. Awesome tag and thanks for tagging me. I also took care of my Mom when she was ailing up until she passed three years ago. It is a gift and I know I would do every second over again for her. You are a tough woman and a great daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing this tag! I especially like tags like these because I feel like I learn so much more about people. You have a lot of great answers and you asked some really good questions--kinda makes me wish I could redo the tag but that would be silly. I've got to try that NARS moisturizer. I heard Shiseido makes all their skincare stuff so I'm not surprised that it's good. And to be honest, I also hate it when people ask about my current profession/occupation because I'm also nowhere close to where I want to be at this age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much for the tag!

    that's so cool that you can sew! what a skill to have. i feel so uncoordinated and stupid whenever i try something creative like sewing or knitting. kudos to you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a ton for the tag! LOL LOL LOL

    "shady corner behind a large potted plant" That one really cracked me up. LMBO

    Im finally getting around to doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo-hoo! And you're very welcome for the tag :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)