Monday, January 20, 2014

Wedding Blog: Otherwise Engaged

Hi Everyone! Taking a break from makeup here to tell you about the launch of a new blog... Otherwise Engaged, a blog where I'll track my wedding planning experience. I know I haven't been the best at updating this blog regularly, so no promises as to where Otherwise Engaged will go, but I wanted to have some place to record the experience and voice some opinions. I expect there to be opinion pieces, how-to's, as well as general posts about the latest wedding-related decisions we've been making.

The last wedding I went to left me scarred... No, really. I cut my lip on a wine glass. Will I survive my own?
I know I may be biased, but I expect it to have a different tone than a lot of blogs charting wedding planning. For one, I work in the industry, so my view of things may be a bit different. Secondly, I am really ambivalent about a lot of the wedding industry and I'm not having a super typical OR super off-beat wedding. I'm not having a $60k, 200 guest wedding, I'm not getting married in a rustic-chic-DIY barn, but I am pretty detail oriented and neurotic. There are definitely moments where I feel like I am at war with myself during wedding planning for a number of reasons; the feminist in me is appalled that a dress can be so important, the broke grad student in me is upset that cake costs so much, and I really do take issue with the idea that once you get engaged, it's ok for people to define you by your relationship, and to define your relationship by the dollar value of your engagement ring. I talk to a lot of brides in my line of work, and I know that my ideas, while not radical by my standards, aren't exactly mainstream, either. There have got to be more people who think like me when it comes to weddings and the planning process, and I really do think you amazing ladies might comprised at least a few of them. If you're at all interested, I'd be really flattered if you stopped by and checked it out-- and even more pumped if you decided to follow me over there, too! So, come watch as I spend way too much time analyzing invitations and whether or not to change my last name...

http://otherwiseengagedblog.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I agree with you, some of the mainstream ideas about weddings (spending $60 k?????) have become a bit ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have to keep my opinions to myself at work so it's nice to have a public forum to voice them in!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)