Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick: Cremes

Hi Dolls!

Sorry for my absence, I was living it up in Vegas! But I am back home now, and back to blogging! I brought my camera and meant to take pictures of looks while I was away, but I ended up being in a hurry every time I did my makeup, so I didn't have time to photograph. Howeer, I've been thinking about re-creating some of the looks I ended up doing, and even creating some more daring ones that I thought about using, but didn't end up having an occasion to wear; this was a pretty low-key trip to Vegas, and most of my time was spent just wandering the strip in relatively comfortable clothes/shoes, or at the Star Trek convention, so I didn't want to do anything too over the top. However, I did score some pretty awesome makeup while I was away, including a few products from Inglot and some new Urban Decay awesomeness. Stay tuned!

Today, I'm going to show you some lipsticks that I've had for awhile now but rarely use.In this post, I'll be reviewing the Creme formula Revlon's Super Lustrous Lipsticks I own, which are Pink Velvet, Sassy Mauve, and  Mauvy Night.  Revlon's Super Lustrous Lipsticks aren't my favorite, but they're certainly not a bad drugstore option; I definitely prefer them over L'Oreal's Colour Riche lipsticks, and they're not as tacky feeling as L'Oreal's Infallible lipsticks (which do stay on longer, however, because of said tackiness!) The black plastic cases aren't exactly luxurious, but they get the job done and are nondescript enough that they're not visually offensive, even if I wouldn't go so far as to call them attractive or stylish. You can find these at most drugstores as well as Ulta, Target, Walmart, etc..., so they have accessibility going for them! They'll run you about $5.99-7.99 depending on where you find them, but Revlon can often be found for BOGO sales at drugstores. Each tube contains 1.5 ounces of product. These smell strongly of a makeupy, waxy base with some sort of generic sweet/floral perfume, but I don't find it to be a terrible scent. I haven't noticed any taste in my experience with them, but the formula does feel a bit greasy on the lips and is thin enough that it has a tendency to settle into lip lines. It's a perfectly serviceable formula, but there's nothing to recommend it in my opinion.

So, lots of pictures ahead, but I wanted to include all three shades together!


Pink Velvet: 



Swatch of Revlon Pink Velvet

Revlon's Pink Velvet, no flash

Revlon Pink Velvet, no flash

Revlon Pink Velvet, flash

Revlon's Pink Velvet
Sassy Mauve: 



Swatch of Sassy Mauve

Revlon's Sassy Mauve, no flash

Revlon Sassy Mauve

Revlon's Sassy Mauve, flash

Revlon's Sassy Mauve, flash

Mauvy Night:


Mauvy Night!

Swatch of Revlon's Mauvy Night

Mauvy Night, no flash

Revlon Mauvy Night, no flash

Revlon Mauvy Night

Mauvy Night

Rating: 6 out of 10

This lipstick is just fine, but between slightly less than average wear time, the faintest hint of an oily texture, and an emphasis on fine lines, it just doesn't cut it as a favorite. However, if you're looking to build up your collection of colors inexpensively or if you're just looking for a specific color that won't be a staple in your lipstick wardrobe, this isn't a bad option. There's nothing so offensive about these that I avoid them, but with better lipsticks so easy to come by (albeit often with a heftier price tag), this isn't a product I seek out.

11 comments:

  1. Revlon lippies are so so for me too. I love the lippies you feature because the colors are always right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful shade! Too bad about the oily texture. I *hate* that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sugarbumpkin, glad I'm not alone, and I'm also very glad that you find these posts helpful! Sometimes I think I have funny taste!

    @VijiiS, these definitely aren't the oiliest feeling lipsticks I've encountered, but if it is a pet peeve of yours, I'd stay away, as these have the faintest suggestion of that... It's something I'm hyper-sensitive to, although it doesn't bother me much with these after I've had them on for a bit. I forget about it :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Pink Velvet! What a fun color. Now I'm singing "Black Velvet", but substituting "Pink Velvet" into the lyrics :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely lipsticks! Hope you had fun in Vegas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! And yes, I did have fun! I keep having flashbacks while I'm at work, wishing I was back there... *sigh*, if only!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great is Pink Velvet?! Lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Robyn! Isn't it such a fun pink? The name is just perfect for the shade, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently bought Cherries In The Snow, it was my first Superlustrous, and I love the texture. Love the colors you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't own Cherries In The Snow, and it's such a classic color!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)