Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Burt's Bees Soap Bark & Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream

Hello!

I rarely blog about beauty products other than makeup, but I've been trying to branch out a little bit... Beauty is about a lot more than just slapping some color on your face; taking care of your skin is really important, too! I have fairly sensitive skin and so I have to be careful about what products I put on my face. This cleanser is very creamy and doesn't produce much lather. It doesn't dry my skin out, unlike most cleansers; it leaves a very little bit of a moisturizing film after it is rinsed off. It also feels very (aggressively) invigorating on my skin; I had the distinct feeling that my eyes had just taken a menthol throat lozenge, and, lo and behold, there is menthol in the ingredients. It doesn't hurt, exactly, but it is disconcerting.

I always try to use cleanser that will get all of my makeup off in one go, including eye makeup; this is the Burt's Bees Soap Bark & Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream's weakness; it's difficult to get all of my dark eye makeup off with just this cleanser. However, if I use a specialized eye makeup remover before this cleanser, I don't have to worry about any dark smudges around my lash line or makeup residue.

On the plus side, this product is 97% natural and formulated without parabens or sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate. It is also pH balanced and won't clog pores, according to the packaging. Chamomile and aloe are supposed to soothe and soften skin; rosemary and echinacea reduce inflammation, tighten pores, and increase cell renewal. I haven't noticed any of these pore tightening, cell renewal results, but I do feel like it leaves my skin calm, soothed, and moisturized. This is also a fairly affordable and easy to find product; you can find it at stores like Target (where I got mine), Walmart, CVS, and online. Six ounces will run you about $7.99.

Here are some pictures of the packaging!

Click these pictures to make them bigger if you want to read the claims or ingredients list!

Front of the product

The back of the product
 And here's a little bit on my wrist, so you can get an idea of the consistency; it's pretty thick and creamy, and feels great! Except for the tingling around the eyes...



Rating: 5 out of 10

I feel very ambivalent about this product. I'm going to finish my bottle, because it cleanses effectively, but I don't like having to use a separate eye makeup remover. I also don't like the tingling around the eyes, but it doesn't hurt or irritate my eyes, so I'm just working through it. If you're looking for a natural cleanser and don't mind using an eye makeup remover with it, this might be just the thing; however, I don't think it's the right product for me. On the plus side, it smells great and I love the consistency, and the consistency that I hate around my eyes is a very pleasant tingle on my face. I also appreciate that I can go a few minutes before applying moisturizer after cleansing without my face tightening up. Based on my experience with this product, I'd try a different Burt's Bee cleanser to see if I could find a better match for my skin and needs.

3 comments:

  1. If you're looking for a creamy cleanser I suggest the Avalon Organics Vitamin C Hydrating Cleansing Milk, it's not very expensive, it's not tested on animals, it smells like oranges, it will remove your makeup but just be careful because it does have orange and lemon extract so if you get it in your eye it'll sting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished my bottle of this... I was not a fan. I liked the tingling menthol sensation :) but i found that my skin was more broken out during the weeks that I was using this stuff instead of my usual neutrogena stress-acne face wash.

    For makeup removal, I highly recommend the Neutrogena makeup remover face wipes... kind of pricey, but they work really well. Side note: you can also buy them for about $2 less at Nordstrom's Rack (random, I know)

    For a cream face wash, I HIGHLY recommend the Neutrogena DEEP CLEAN CREAM cleanser. It comes in a pale orangey-yellow tube (NOT the bright orange version for acne... do not make this mistake!). It smells lovely, feels like creamy velvet on your skin, and leaves you feeling like a fresh-faced, doe-eyed, glowing girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your suggestions, guys! I'll have to check out all these options the next time I need a face cleanser, it's nice to have some ideas of things other people have used with success!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing what you have to say and interacting with you guys! That being said, please don't leave irrelevant links in your comments, I will not approve them. We can still click on your name to visit your blog :)